This consultation paper seeks feedback on the appropriateness of the existing regulatory settings for managed investment schemes including:
- the thresholds that determine whether an investor is a wholesale client
- whether certain managed investment schemes should be marketed and sold to retail clients
- the roles and obligations of responsible entities
- whether ‘investor rights’ are appropriate
- liquidity requirements for managed investment schemes
- whether an insolvency regime is required for managed investment schemes
- interactions between Commonwealth and State laws when regulating real estate investments by managed investment schemes.
In the October 2022‑23 Budget, the Government announced that Treasury would undertake a review of the regulatory framework for managed investment schemes. The review will examine whether the regulatory framework is fit‑for‑purpose, identify potential gaps, and consider what enhancements can be made to reduce undue financial risk for investors.
You can submit responses to this consultation up until 29 September 2023. Interested parties are invited to comment on this consultation.
While submissions may be lodged electronically or by post, electronic lodgement is preferred. For accessibility reasons, please submit responses sent via email in a Word or RTF format. An additional PDF version may also be submitted.
All information (including name and address details) contained in submissions will be made available to the public on the Treasury website unless you indicate that you would like all or part of your submission to remain in confidence. Automatically generated confidentiality statements in emails do not suffice for this purpose. Respondents who would like part of their submission to remain in confidence should provide this information marked as such in a separate attachment.
Legal requirements, such as those imposed by the Freedom of Information Act 1982, may affect the confidentiality of your submission.
View our submission guidelines for further information.
How To Respond
Address written submissions to:
Parkes ACT 2600