This exposure draft Bill gives effect to the Government’s 2017/18 Budget commitment to establish the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation (NHFIC) to improve housing outcomes for Australians.
Key aspects of the Bill are:
- The NHFIC will be established as a corporate Commonwealth entity, governed by an independent, skills-based part-time Board.
- The NHFIC, which will be a financial intermediary, will have broad functions which will enable it to administer the programs announced by the Government:
- a $1 billion National Housing Infrastructure Facility (NHIF) which will help to finance critical infrastructure to increase the stock of housing, particularly affordable housing; and
- an affordable housing bond aggregator which will improve the efficiency of financing for community housing providers, enabling them to improve housing outcomes for their clients.
- The Government will issue an Investment Mandate to sit alongside the Bill that will outline its expectations about the performance of the NHFIC’s functions, including decision-making criteria and risk and return on investments.
- Liabilities of the NHFIC will be guaranteed by the Commonwealth.
- The Bill outlines the functions and powers of the NHFIC and its Board and Chief Executive Officer and provides the capacity for the Board to establish committees to assist it.
- The operation of the Bill will be reviewed three years after its commencement.
- Community Housing Industry Association - PDF 573KB
- Compass Housing Services - PDF 378KB
- Exposure Draft - PDF 384KB
- Exposure Draft - DOC 295KB
- Local Government Association of Queensland - PDF 2MB
- Mattila Advisory - PDF 421KB
- Melton City Council - PDF 21KB
- National Affordable Housing Providers Ltd - PDF 258KB
- National Australia Bank - PDF 232KB
- National Shelter - PDF 194KB
- NSW Federation of Housing Associations Inc - PDF 118KB
- PowerHousing Australia - DOCX 3MB
- PowerHousing Australia - PDF 136KB
- Property Council of Australia - PDF 242KB
- Queenslanders with Disability Network Ltd - DOCX 194KB
- Queenslanders with Disability Network Ltd - PDF 41KB
- Uniting Housing Victoria - PDF 456KB
- Urban Development Institute of Australia (National) - PDF 511KB