In response to a review of its macroeconomic forecasting methodology, Treasury undertook to develop a wider range of alternative techniques to forecast the economy and to convene an external panel of experts to provide advice on those alternatives.
The panel is comprised of the following academics and other macroeconomic experts with specialist knowledge in macroeconomic modelling:
- Professor Heather Anderson (Maureen Brunt Chair of Economics and Econometrics and Head of the Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics, Monash University)
- Dr Adam Cagliarini (Deputy Head of Economic Research Department, Reserve Bank of Australia)
- Dr Mark Doms (Chief Economist, United States Congressional Budget Office)
- Mr Yuong Ha (Chief Economist and Head of Economics, Reserve Bank of New Zealand)
- Professor Warwick McKibbin (Director, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Australian National University)
- Professor James Morley (Professor of Macroeconomics, University of Sydney)
- Professor Bruce Preston (Professor of Economics, University of Melbourne)
- Dr Tim Robinson (Senior Research Fellow in the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, University of Melbourne)
- Professor Kalvinder Shields (Professor of Economics, University of Melbourne)
- Associate Professor Chung Tran (Associate Professor, Research School of Economics, Australian National University)
The expert panel will be consulted on an ad hoc basis on technical macroeconomic issues and will meet once or twice a year.