The objectives of Program 1.8 are:
- the Government provides financial support for the States and Territories to be spent in the delivery of disability services.
This program also has links to the Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs portfolio.
The program deliverables are:
- payments to the States and Territories are made according to the payment arrangements specified in the Intergovernmental Agreement.
Key performance indicators
The key performance indicators are:
- the Treasury will transfer to each State and Territory the amounts of their monthly and annual entitlements under the National Disability Services SPP and will make the payments on the dates specified in the Intergovernmental Agreement;
- the Treasury will provide advice to the States and Territories on the components of each payment prior to each payment being made; and
- the Treasury will review the acquittal report provided by each State and Territory on their expenditure in the delivery of disability services.
Analysis of performance
The Treasury facilitated the Government's 2010-11 financial support for the States and Territories in the delivery of disability services.
- Payments under the National Disability SPP were $1.1 billion.
- All payments were accurately determined and made in a timely manner in accordance with the payment arrangements specified in the Intergovernmental Agreement.
- Advice was provided to the States and Territories prior to each payment being made.
To demonstrate that the National Disability SPP was spent in the relevant sector, each State and Territory will provide a report to the Ministerial Council within six months of 30 June 2011, disclosing relevant information in accordance with the Intergovernmental Agreement.
It should be noted that from 1 July 2011, the Commonwealth will make an adjustment to ensure that the changes to Commonwealth and State roles and responsibilities for aged care and disability services, as part of the National Health Reform arrangements, are budget neutral. Subject to further negotiations on elements of the National Health Reform arrangements, it is anticipated that the adjustment to achieve budget neutrality will be made to either the National Healthcare SPP or the National Disability SPP.