This document was authored by the then Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources as part of the Small Business portfolio policy functions which have since been transferred to the Treasury.
The Australian Government is introducing changes to the Franchising Code of Conduct in response to the Fairness in Franchising report. These will implement the Government’s Response to the report.
The report identified weaknesses in parts of the franchising sector, which impacted small businesses owners who ran franchises.
To restore confidence and support the sector, the government is proposing changes that will:
- introduce new measures to protect franchisees
- improve the information available to franchisees
- lift franchisor standards of conduct
We’re seeking views on:
- an Exposure Draft of changes to the Franchising Code of Conduct; and
- proposed key facts sheets
Your feedback will help us:
- identify any unintended consequences
- inform the development of the key facts sheet
To help you through the consultation process, refer to the supporting guide.
The submissions received will inform the further drafting of the regulatory amendments to the Franchising Code and the design of the Key Facts Sheet. The final form of amendments will be introduced in early 2021.