This report presents Treasury analysis on the first six months of the JobKeeper Payment (to 27 September 2020), reflecting on the design and initial impacts of JobKeeper as a key element of the Government’s macroeconomic response to COVID-19.
The report draws on ongoing analysis undertaken by Treasury throughout 2020 and 2021 on JobKeeper and macroeconomic developments.
The report is divided into five sections:
- Section 1 outlines the development of JobKeeper, including the economic and health context in which JobKeeper was developed, JobKeeper design features, and changes made to the policy over time.
- Section 2 provides updated summary program data on JobKeeper recipients.
- Section 3 provides analysis on the economic effect of JobKeeper.
- Section 4 discusses analysis on JobKeeper and business-level performance.
- Section 5 outlines future evaluation and audit activities planned for JobKeeper.