On 24 October 2010, the Assistant Treasurer announced the release of reports on the community's attitudes and values toward superannuation.
The results of the research are three reports:
- Understanding Superannuation - Preliminary Report: Qualitative Investigation with Employers, Consumers & Industry;
- Investigating Superannuation: Quantitative Investigation with Employers; and
- Investigating Superannuation: Quantitative Investigation with Superannuation Consumers.
In early 2009 the Government commissioned empirical research into community attitudes and values toward superannuation. Colmar Brunton, an independent market research company, was commissioned to undertake the work.
Issues that have been considered in the research include:
- structure and regulation,
- tax treatment,
- rates of return, and
- related matters of the superannuation system and its impact on business.
The research was Australia-wide and contains both a qualitative and quantitative component.