The Treasurer will deliver the 2012-13 Budget on Tuesday 8 May 2012, with his Budget speech beginning in the House of Representatives around 7.30 pm (AEST).
Budget documents will available under embargo to approved members of the media in a secure area in Parliament House, Canberra.
Media organisations are invited to apply to the Treasury for access to the lock-up by submitting the names and positions of employees seeking access by 5 pm on Friday 27 April 2012. Applications and enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Media organisations should restrict their applications to essential employees only, as space in the lock-up is limited.
Requirements for access to the Budget lock-up
Attendees will be required to abide by the lock-up's security arrangements.
On Budget day, access to the lock-up area for the purposes of setting up equipment will be available up until 11.30 am, at which point all attendees will be asked to vacate the area.
Attendees will be able to sign in from 12.00 pm which will allow access to a pre-lock-up area but not to the Budget documents. Once signed in, attendees will not be able to leave this area. When the lock-up commences at 1.30 pm, those already signed in will be able to move immediately into the venue and collect their Budget documents.
As in previous years, participating media organisations will bear their own costs of attendance and participation.
Any general questions about the lock-up should be directed to the Treasury at email@example.com.
Lock-up arrangements are provided for members of media organisations in good faith, and attendees are requested to observe the following conditions:
- Budget information may not be broadcast, published or made publicly available until 7.30 pm (AEST) on Budget day (Specified Time) at which time the embargo will be lifted on all Budget documents.
- Attendees may not make contact with anyone outside the lock-up area before the Specified Time (authorised communications to secured Budget sub-lock-ups excepted).
- Mobile phones and pagers cannot be taken into the lock-up; however secure storage facilities will be available outside the lock-up area.
- Other equipment capable of transmitting information (e.g. laptops and tablets) can be taken into the lock-up however their connectivity must be disabled for the duration of the lock-up. Please note that the lock-up area will be monitored for non-authorised transmissions.
- The lock-up will commence at 1.30 pm. Attendees may not leave the lock-up area before the Specified Time, except in the case of emergency.
- Attendees are required to vacate the lock-up area by 8.30 pm.
- Smoking is not permitted in any part of the lock-up area, and attendees will not be permitted into smoking areas during the lock-up.
Print media organisations may apply to hold a secure sub-lock-up by contacting Nestor Palma on 02 6263 3863, fax 02 6263 2869 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on 16 April 2012 to arrange all secure encrypted data, voice or fax line requirements.
Entry to authorised sub-lock-ups is restricted to sub-editorial staff only. Reporters are not permitted inside sub-lock-ups. Sub-lock-up arrangements will be supervised by a Treasury official or other designated Australian Government official for the duration of the lock-up.
The Budget documents, including the Treasurer's speech, will be available in hard-copy and electronic form inside the media lock-up area from 1.30 pm. If you have specific accessibility requirements for accessing electronic Budget documents, please send details to email@example.com.
The Budget will be released on the Budget website at 7.30 pm (AEST) on Budget day. The Budget website also includes details of how to purchase printed Budget documents.