In August 2017 the Australian Government released a discussion paper on Modernising Business Registers to seek feedback from a broad range of stakeholder groups on their experience in using business registry services. Treasury received 30 submissions from a range of stakeholder groups during the consultation process. This stakeholder feedback helped us to define the problem and informed the development of a potential solution for the Government to consider.
In the 2018-19 Budget, the Australian Government considered the stakeholder feedback and advice from the relevant agencies and directed the Department of Treasury, the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science and the Australian Securities and Investment Commission to develop a detailed business case for modernising the Australian Government’s business registers.
Following on from the previous feedback, this subsequent discussion paper has been released for consultation focusing on four areas that we would like to engage with stakeholders on:
- Legislation – What legislative changes are required to allow for the modernising of business registers?
- Registry Service Enhancements – How we can enhance the services offered and improve the user experience?
- Funding registry infrastructure – How should we fund the business registers in the future?
- Director Identification Numbers (DIN) – What is the best way to implement a DIN?
The discussion paper provides more information and a list of questions that may assist you with making a submission.
- ANZ - PDF 140KB
- Association of Independent Insolvency Practitioners - PDF 732KB
- Australian Bureau of Statistics - PDF 287KB
- Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry - PDF 463KB
- Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission - PDF 288KB
- Australian Credit Forum - PDF 280KB
- Australian Institute of Company Directors - PDF 206KB
- Australian Institute of Credit Management - PDF 198KB
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround association - PDF 424KB
- Business Council of co-operatives and mutuals - PDF 744KB
- Chartered Accountants Australia and NZ - PDF 163KB
- Condon - PDF 2MB
- Corbel Tech - PDF 318KB
- CPA Australia - PDF 245KB
- EnterpriseCreativeCloud - PDF 449KB
- Ferdinands, Trevor Kingsley - PDF 215KB
- Governance Institute - PDF 217KB
- Hardidge, David - PDF 406KB
- Illion - PDF 468KB
- Institute of Public Accountants - PDF 1MB
- Motor Trades Associaton of Australia - PDF 2MB
- myStake - PDF 447KB
- NewHorizons - PDF 2MB
- Pitch Partners - PDF 413KB
- Salvation Army - PDF 540KB
- Trading As - PDF 214KB
- Uniting Church - PDF 340KB
- WA Small Business Development Corporation - PDF 385KB