The Statistics Determination 1983 (the Determination) is due to sunset on 1 October 2018 and will need to be remade so the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) can continue to provide detailed statistical information that helps to inform decision making.
The Determination is made under the Census and Statistics Act 1905 (the Act). It complements the Act by setting out the additional circumstances under which the ABS can release information. Under the Determination, information of a personal or domestic nature cannot be released in a way that is likely to enable the identification of a person.
The proposed changes to the Determination do not substantially change its intent or design or the strict controls that govern the specific circumstances under which information can be released either to the public or on a limited basis.
Treasury is seeking the community’s views on proposed changes to the Determination which are outlined in the consultation paper. The proposed changes will modernise the Determination and ensure it remains fit-for-purpose.
- Australian Privacy Foundation - PDF 120KB
- BlueScope - PDF 510KB
- Business Council of Australia - PDF 312KB
- Capral - PDF 338KB
- Davidsson, Per - PDF 123KB
- Defence Housing Australia - PDF 297KB
- Department of Agriculture and Water - PDF 247KB
- Department of Environment and Energy - PDF 66KB
- Department of Home Affairs - PDF 82KB
- Department of Industry, Innovation and Science - PDF 386KB
- Department of Treasury and Finance Tasmania - PDF 709KB
- Energy Queensland - PDF 154KB
- International Trade Remedies Forum non-government members - PDF 657KB
- Liberty OneSteel - PDF 163KB
- Manufacturers Trade Alliance - PDF 416KB
- Manufacturing Australia - PDF 678KB
- National Centre for Vocational Education Research - PDF 161KB
- Parliamentary Budget Office - PDF 370KB
- Telstra - PDF 172KB