The Economist Stream is a centrally coordinated process co-led by the Australian Public Service Commission and the Treasury. The Economist Stream allows you to submit one application and be considered for Economist Graduate roles across a number of departments and agencies in the Australian Public Service (APS).
Applications for the Economist Stream are now open
Applications are now open for the 2022 Australian Government Graduate Program – Economist Stream, apply now.
We recommend taking the time to visit each of the participating department and agencies websites to familiarise yourself with information such as their Graduate Program, employee entitlements, classification, salary and plenty more.
To date, agencies that have participated in the Economist Stream are:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- Attorney-General’s Department
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Home Affairs
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- National Health Funding Body
- National Indigenous Australians Agency
- The Treasury
About the Economist Stream
How do I know if the Economist Stream is right for me? Applying for the Economist Stream will give you the opportunity to work with Australia’s leading government Economic Policy Analysts and Macroeconomic Forecasters and contribute to informing decisions on policies for the good of the Australian people.
As an Economist Graduate you will contribute to informing decisions on function of markets e.g. financial, digital, taxation, fiscal policy, macroeconomic issues and international economic issues including Australia’s participation in global economic forums. There are opportunities to contribute to advice on a range of government policy issues that cover:
- the functioning of markets - including financial markets, digital and competition policy
- fiscal policy - including social, industry and environmental policy
- macroeconomic issues and forecasting changes in the economic environment
- international economic issues – including Australia’s participation in global economic forums
This includes work in government fiscal and monetary policies, budgetary policies, domestic and international economic situations (including industries, regions and socioeconomic groups) and forecasting changes in the economic environment.
If found suitable and selected for the APS Economist Stream you will undertake a graduate program in a department or agency that will provide you with targeted training and development to progress your skills, knowledge and confidence as a valued member of, and contributor to, the APS.
The Treasury will be leading the recruitment of the Economist Stream with the assistance of an outsourced provider and participating agency volunteers.
|9 March 2021||Applications Open|
|26 April 2021||Applications Close|
|June||Virtual Interviews and Referee Checks|
FAQ: Can I apply for both the Treasury Graduate Program and the Economist Stream?
Yes. While both Programs are managed in Treasury, they are run independently of each other. Your application needs to be submitted to each round independently to be considered for each Program.
- You must be an Australian citizen by the end of the calendar year in which you apply, e.g. become an Australian citizen by December 2021.
- You need to have completed an Australian-recognised undergraduate or postgraduate degree by the end of the calendar year in which you apply (2021).
- The minimum requirement is a bachelor degree. As part of your degree you must have a Minor or Major in Economics.
- Your most recent qualifying degree must be no more than five years old on the date you lodge your application.
- You will need a credit average, or higher, to ensure that you are competitive in the selection process.
- You must be willing and able to relocate to Canberra (or other state based locations specified by participating agencies) for the duration of the graduate program.
- You must be willing to obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government security clearance prior to your commencement. Further information on security clearances is available from Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA).