In July 2019, the Prime Minister tasked the Assistant Minister to the Prime Minister, the Hon Ben Morton MP, with revitalising our regulatory reform and deregulation agenda and establishing the new Deregulation Taskforce, being led by the Treasurer.
The Taskforce will drive improvements to the design, administration and effectiveness of the stock of government regulation to ensure it is fit for purpose. The Taskforce will develop and recommend solutions to lower the costs of regulation while retaining the benefits, making it easier for businesses to invest, create jobs and grow the economy.
The Taskforce's primary focus is to work from the perspective of business and will co-design solutions with business and agencies across jurisdictions to identify and remove unnecessary barriers to investment. Its initial focus will be on a selection of sectors and activities to target critical pain points. These initial areas of focus are:
- reducing regulatory burden for food manufacturers with an initial focus on exporting
- making it easier for sole traders and micro businesses to become first time employers
- getting beneficial major infrastructure projects up and running sooner
The Taskforce’s work is supported by an expert Advisory Panel.
News and media
- Media Release - Prime Minister: New measures delivering deregulation for Australian business [20 November 2019]
- Media Release - Treasurer: Announcement of priority areas [12 September 2019]
Questions regarding the Deregulation Taskforce can be emailed to DeregulationTaskforce@treasury.gov.au.
Media enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.